Gift & Estate Planning
Explore the many ways you can help meet your financial goals and maximize your philanthropic giving through a planned gift.
Would you like to support Holy Family Institute and improve your financial security at the same time? Planned giving makes this possible. Some planned gifts provide a life-long income to the donor, while others use estate and tax planning techniques to provide for Holy Family and other heirs in ways that maximize the gift and/or minimize its impact on the donor’s estate planning.
Make a gift from your will or trust
Making a gift to Holy Family Foundation from your will or trust (whether cash, specific property or a share of your estate) is a great way to help us build financial strength for our future while costing you nothing now.
- Your assets remain in your control during your lifetime.
- You can modify your gift to address changing circumstances.
- You can direct your gift to a particular purpose.
Make a gift of stock or appreciated assets
With this type of gift, you can transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year to Holy Family Foundation, which would be sold and the proceeds used to support critical programs at HFI.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
- Giving appreciated stock could be more beneficial than giving cash.
Name Holy Family Foundation as a beneficiary of your retirement plan
Naming Holy Family Foundation as a beneficiary of your IRA, 401(k) or other qualified plan can eliminate income tax on retirement plan assets, and free up other property to pass to your heirs. The balance in your plan transfers to Holy Family Foundation after your death.
- Avoid the potential double taxation your retirement savings would face if you designated them to your heirs.
- Continue to take regular lifetime withdrawals.
- Maintain flexibility to change beneficiaries if your family’s needs change during your lifetime.
Make a charitable gift annuity
Creating a life-income plan such as a charitable gift annuity lets you continue to receive benefits from the assets you donate to Holy Family Foundation.
- Receive dependable, fixed income for life in return for your gift.
- In many cases, receive payments at a rate higher than the interest you are currently receiving from stocks, CDs, or savings accounts.
- Receive an immediate income tax deduction for a portion of your gift.
- A portion of your annuity payment will be tax-free.
Make a deferred gift annuity
Similar to a charitable gift annuity, you may transfer cash or securities to Holy Family Foundation, but beginning on a specified future date, HFI pays you, or up to two annuitants you name, fixed annuity payments for life.
- Deferral of payments permits a higher annuity rate and generates a larger charitable deduction.
- You can target your annuity payments to begin when you need them, such as retirement.
- The longer you elect to defer payments, the higher your payment will be.
Donate a life insurance policy
Creating a new life insurance policy, or donating a paid-up policy of coverage you no longer need, creates a long-term gift that does not draw funds from your estate but supports Holy Family Foundation.
- Make a gift using an asset that you and your family no longer need.
- Receive an income tax deduction.
- In some cases, you can use the cash value in your policy to fund a life-income gift, such as a deferred gift annuity.
Make a deferred gift annuity
It takes time and effort to create an effective plan for the future. To explore your giving options or to request a personalized gift proposal, please contact us today.
Phone: 412.766.9020 x1244
Let Us Know Your Plans
Have you already included Holy Family Institute in your estate plans? Please let us know.
All contact information received for donations and mailing lists will be kept confidential. We do not share our lists with other parties.