Young men and women are invited to broaden their understanding and experience of FAMILY in a world that is struggling to define family. Holy Family Service Corps provides an opportunity to focus on the essentials: Community, Mission Service, Simple Lifestyle, and Spirituality.
As the number of priests and religious ministry decline, the number of lay people working in various ministries – doing mission work – increases. It is the mission of Holy Family Service Corps to offer an unforgettable experience to the next generation of lay leaders. Holy Family Service Corps has two components:
- The Nazareth Year One-year program: Young adult volunteers commit one year of their lives to live in community with other volunteers. Here, they devote themselves to serving children, youth, and families in a variety of ways.
- Teaching Fellow program: Young adults, recent graduates with degrees is math, science, English, instructional technology or psychology who desire to earn a Masters degree in Secondary Education have the opportunity to do so TUITION FREE by committing to a 2 year process of teaching at a Holy Family School while attending classes at Duquesne University. Also, a certified teacher of Special Education has the same opportunity to acquire a master Degree in Special Education at Duquesne University.
We are looking for adventurous people to join our mission in education and social service programs in the Greater Pittsburgh region. Open your Heart, Experience the Joy, Share the Journey, Be God’s Love!
How we differ:
- Personal growth and professional development
- Monthly personal living stipend
- Community living with private bedroom
- Transportation (as needed for work) and food is provided
- Eligible to receive an Educational Scholarship (One-year program only)
- All volunteers are matched with a Sister of the Holy Family of Nazareth as their Sister Companion to walk with them on the journey.
One-year volunteers will have the opportunity to work in one of the following fields: social service, education, early learning program, youth mentoring, family support services, housing counseling services, senior service, etc. Currently the three work site options are Holy Family Institute, Nazareth Prep, or the Community at Holy Family Manor, all located in Pittsburgh, PA. Work placements will be made based on volunteer experience, skills, interests, and agency need.
Two-year volunteers, working toward a masters degree in education will have the opportunity to work at Nazareth Prep
Two-year volunteers, working toward a masters degree in special education will have the opportunity to work at Holy Family Specialized Learning.
Take a closer look at the place you will call home for a year! Holy Family Institute is located in the neighborhood of Emsworth, conveniently located only 10 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. Click on the picture below to view a gallery of our campus and living spaces.
- At least 21 years of age
- College degree in area of service or equivalent work experience
- Able to make a one-year or two year commitment determined by program of interest
- Strong physical and mental health
- Willing to live simply in community with other volunteers
- Comfortable in a Catholic faith-sharing environment
- Healthy sense of humor
- Ability to have an open heart and open mind
- Flexible/adaptable to diverse cultures and situations
- Previous commitment to volunteerism and/or service activities
- Complete HFSC Application
- After submitting your application, please email a copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Those interested in masters degree will be given the email address of where to send unofficial transcripts.
- Send the following reference link to three people who have known you for at least a year (a combination of one personal and two professional): https://hfsc.typeform.com/to/dJck2a
- Once we have received your completed application, resume, and three references we will contact you to set-up an on-line interview.
For more information, please contact:
Director, Volunteer Program
412.766.9020 ext. 1304